The Isle of Man is increasingly being recognised as a leading location for space-related businesses.
With the support of a pro-space Government, the Isle of Man plays host to a number of global satellite companies, new space start-ups and international space associations as well as being able to offer orbital slots and launch licences via the UK Space Agency.
In regard to orbital filings, the Isle of Man Government works on a sole and exclusive basis with ManSat.
The Isle of Man Communications Commission, which licenses and regulates all telecommunications for the Isle of Man, works with the UK regulator, Ofcom, via ManSat and the UK Space Agency, when authorising space sector activities in the Island. For example geo-stationary satellite filings and telemetry, tracking and control under international treaties.
Space and Professional Services
The Isle of Man’s professional services sector has developed strong expertise in the global space and satellite industry, reinforcing its ability to enter and operate successfully in niche sectors.
- Legal services: A growing number of Isle of Man advocates (lawyers) are developing a specialisation in space law.
- Accounting Services: The Isle of Man’s status as one of the world’s leading financial centres means that there are a large number of high-quality firms to help with space business.
- Insurance Services: Insurance companies in the Isle of Man are highly experienced in dealing with high value/low incidence risk.
Space-Related companies in the Isle of Man
Four of the world’s top 10 satellite companies have a presence in the Isle of Man which include SES, Inmarsat, Avanti and Telesat.
The Isle of Man is home to the Space Data Association, which is the first satellite operator-led association dedicated to sharing critical operational data in support of satellite operations, improving flight safety and preserving the space environment.
The Satellite Interference Reduction Group has also recently set up in the Isle of Man.
International Space University & International Institute of Space Commerce
The International Space University (ISU) is located in Strasbourg, France and specialises in the education of postgraduates and professionals to prepare them for work in Space-related activities.
The ISU is in a partnership with the Isle of Man Government and has developed the International Institute of Space Commerce (IISC), which is based in the Isle of Man.
It is intended to be the intellectual home for the Space industry and for Space academia around the world with the ultimate aim to promote and enhance world’s space commerce to the general public.
IISC’s vision is to act as a resource for all, being an international and non partisan 'Think Tank' drawing upon new ideas and solutions to existing and future problems the space industry faces by drawing together experts from academia, government, the media, business, international and non-governmental organizations.
Why Isle of Man for Space?
- pro-space Government
- well-established cluster of space, aerospace and high-tech industries
- established professional infrastructure (which includes many of the world’s leading companies in finance and insurance)
- zero tax on space and satellite business
- no Insurance Premium Tax
- access to orbital slots and launch licences
- home to the International Institute of Space Commerce
For further information please go to the Space Isle website